Sunday, July 31, 2016

The Big Picture ... Climate Truth


Global warming refers to the ongoing rise in global average temperature near Earth's surface. It is caused mostly by increasing concentrations of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. Global warming is causing climate patterns to change.
Climate change refers to any significant change in climate lasting for an extended period of time. In other words, climate change includes major changes in temperature, precipitation, or wind patterns, among other effects, that occur over several decades or longer.

Climate change is happening



Our Earth is warming. Earth's average temperature has risen by 1.5°F over the past century, and is projected to rise another 0.5 to 8.6°F over the next hundred years. Small changes in the average temperature of the planet can translate to large and potentially dangerous shifts in climate and weather.

The evidence is clear. Rising global temperatures have been accompanied by changes in weather and climate . Many places have seen changes in rainfall, resulting in more floods, droughts, or intense rain, as well as more frequent and severe heat waves. The planet's oceans and glaciers have also experienced some big changes - oceans are warming and becoming more acidic, ice caps are melting, and sea levels are rising. As these and other changes become more pronounced in the coming decades, they will likely present challenges to our society and our environment. The weather will become increasingly violent...intense rain, hail or snowfall; more violent thunderstorms and hurricanes. An increasing number of earthquakes and volcanic eruptions have also been attributed to reactions by the planet to climate change.

Humans are largely responsible for recent climate change

smoke coming from a factory

Over the past century, human activities have released large amounts of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. The majority of greenhouse gases come from burning fossil fuels to produce energy, although deforestation, industrial processes, and some agricultural practices also emit gases into the atmosphere.


Greenhouse gases act like a blanket around Earth, trapping the sun's energy in the atmosphere and causing it to warm. This phenomenon is called the greenhouse effect. The buildup of greenhouse gases can change Earth's climate and result in dangerous effects to human health and welfare and to natural ecosystems.


The choices we make today will affect the amount of greenhouse gases we put in the atmosphere in the near future and for years to come.
We have created a dangerous new world for our children to live in. We owe it to them to find the solutions before they are left to clean up our mess and save the planet.


hands on a globe
Let's not leave it to the kids to save the world

10 comments:

  1. Howdy PIC ,
    Thank you for the invite , I will put the word out so the people in the group will know what's happening to our planet .

    As soon as I make a full member I will put a stat counter on .
    What a great idea ... hope you and everyone is well . The cubs are going to be so excited .
    Checked my mail at 9:45AM this morning and the invite was there .

    I think it was a great idea for your dear friend to start a blog to help women ... that's the reason why I started the shelter for abuse women .
    I think people forget about them . There are so many ways to be abused .
    Love you sweetie ...
    Your friend and partner always
    PIC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sweetie
    This blog is a gift from me to you and your group. I was hoping you could add a whole bunch of authors to it so they could post anything they wanted to, any time. I wonder how many authors we can add. The cubs are welcome to give their opinions and info too. It's a chance to reach a lot of people.
    In all these years, you never told me the name of your group so I had to wing it. If you would like the title changed, it is no problem for me to do so. I want you to be the administrator. You can put all the group announcements and events on it, reports on Nanook sales, people's birthdays and anniversaries, births and weddings....whatever. I do so hope they will get involved.
    Any articles people find, they can post or get you or I to do it. I had my computer fixed. The blogger program has not worked properly in over a year so I could not create blogs. I got one started for Nanook a long time ago but could go no further.
    I am on the mend and would love to chat with you.
    Lotsa love , your PIC and pal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy Sweetie,
      Thank you for the wonderful gift to me and my group , I am thankful and appreciate it very much . The name of the group is Nanook Friends of the Planet . Jenny's is the Polar Bear Cubs .
      I think the idea is a great one ... when we talked before , I didn't get any takers for authors, I asked the cubs and they said they will give what they can but there was more to do in school and they had lots of things going on .
      They have karate/ Nasa/sports and hanging out with friends and are more involved in other things . I will ask to see if there is any takers . I don't want to push anyone into being an author , just ask them and hope I get some takers . I found out if you keep asking or pushing people to do something , they will do it 1/2 times just to get you to leave them alone . I don't have anyone else in the family I can get, they like to read blogs , but not write them .
      You know that Jenny is in Middle school and the other cubs is in high school this year , that's a whole new world opening up to them .
      The title is great , I showed it to Dad and he said it was a wonderful idea if I could get a few and we can have up to 100 authors .

      I can only write posts now , I can't invite anyone to join or put stats on the sidebar .
      You have to go to permissions and make me a full administrator , it's where you invited me .
      I will need to have access to permissions to invite anyone if I am lucky to get some people . If not , the only thing I can do is write posts .
      We will be home tomorrow evening to rest up Hahahaha!!!

      Glad to hear you are on the mend and love to chat , just name the time after tomorrow .
      Lots of love back at you
      Your friend and PIC

      Delete
  3. That's a bit disappointing but it still is a good venue to put events and announcements and changes of meetings, gatherings, picnics etc. Articles, I will gladly contribute. It could serve as a gathering point for members and a place they can go to keep up with what's going on in the group. I will change the title. I can supply the latest scientific findings and progress. It's up to the cubs if they want to put an article or express their opinion. If this is a bad idea, don't hesitate to be honest with me. It takes only one second to delete a blog
    Love your friend always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please read my comment again ?
      All I ask was for you to go to permissions and make me an administrator so I will be able to invite other people to share .
      I'm only an author now and can only post , nothing else .
      an administrator should have control and that I do not have .
      Permissions is where you invited me to joined and all you have to do is click on administrator .

      The idea is a good one and I got on board because of your first post on FTBB and went from there to where I am now .

      The title is fine ... no need to change it or delete it ...
      You know about this subject than I or my members know , we always look to you for answers / guidance .
      Anyone in charge of something should have control , don't you think so ?

      If someone make a nasty comment , I can't delete it ... so that would leave me out here hanging all I can do is reply /ignore .
      Love always your friend

      PS: remember when I got locked out and you invited me back ... after I accepted you went to permissions on the blogs and click on administrator .
      Love always your friend
      NEE

      Delete
    2. PS: let me clarify that about before ... I am speaking of a while back when we first talk about a Climate blog not this one ... I haven't had a chance to speak to anyone .
      Love NEE

      Delete
  4. Ok love, I will take care of that right now as I intended. It's all in a good cause and I think we can handle it just fine whether anyone wants to help us or not. What the hell, it's only one more blog. Personally, I am excited about it because I never wanted to put so many environmental posts on FTBB that I strayed from the purpose of the blog. With this blog, everyone who comes here is interested in climate change. It's all good.
    Always your friend
    Big fat Genie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for understanding ...
      I can't get the graft under Nanook until I am made administrator ... Jenny says she will share with us what Tyger is doing and what Jennifer sends her from Greenpeace .

      I would like a graft to see what they are interested in and what part of the world they are from .
      We left early on the way home , 3 drivers and they are driving all the way through . Mac also has 3 drivers , it's going to be good to get home ... we still have to make the trip to Reno , but everything there is under control . I am on the back seat cussing playing with my lappy .
      I will have a meeting Friday and put it in front of the committee they always have good ideas about things . I checks in with Della /Miss. Davis to see how the meeting is going , they said find but they miss Jenny with her whip . Hahahaha !!
      Waiting to get my promotion to administrator or I will tell Dad on you .
      Always your friend
      BAW

      Delete
    2. Sorry love I have screwed up somehow. Since I can no longer get into this blog except through the dashboard and I can't get into settings at all, I hope you can figure out if this blog has been deleted. There is an easy process to bring back a deleted blog but I can no longer get into the blog settings.
      Hope you can help
      Love you and have a peaceful, safe trip,
      Your friend and PIC

      Delete
    3. The blog is still here , not to worry , things are good and I am an administrator.

      you can only see 5 blogs at a time ... under the last blog it says see more ... click o it .I thought we had lost WB but it's still there ... we have 6 blogs and you will only see 5 on your dashboard . click the see more
      Love PIC

      Delete