Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Dead whale found with 13 pounds of plastic in stomach

 
 


Nov. 21, 2018 - A dead sperm whale washed ashore in eastern Indonesia with 13 pounds of plastic in its stomach. The trash included 115 drinking cups, 25 plastic bags, plastic bottles, two flip-flops, and more than 1,000 pieces of string. The whale’s exact cause of death is unknown, but observers say the whale may highlight the global plastic pollution problem.

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch
The findings from the two expeditions, found that the patch covers 1.6 million square kilometers (617,000 sq. miles) with a concentration of 10–100 kg per square kilometer. They estimate an 80,000 metric tons in the patch, with 1.8 trillion plastic pieces, out of which 92% of the mass is to be found in objects larger than 0.5 centimeters.

IT'S TWICE THE SIZE OF TEXAS
Image result for pacific garbage patch image
Closeup below
Image result for pacific garbage patch image

2 comments:

  1. Aunt Jeannie ,
    This is so horrible , just think Texas is very large if you drive the speed limit from here across Texas head to Nevada it takes a day or more and to think that pile of plastic is twice the size of Texas , that's so threatening to not only the sea animals , also to all life little or small .
    Charles and Charlene is new at this , post like this one and others I email them to get them put the up in the bulletin board in the hotel lobby and front desk , They said human resources told their mama that they would have to get the okay from the boss , I told them not to worry I will handle it for them , Charlene asked were I going to tell daddy , I told her no , I was going to tell mama , uncle Glenn know this is one of mama pet projects , he's not going to mess with mama.
    Aunt Jeannie I think we are giving people a wake up call I hope this will scare the stuffing out a lot of people .
    Much Love
    Crusader Jenny , Nanook , Knight Mika and very soon Knight Moto

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit Crusader that I cried when I read about the whale. Sometimes it feels like we are trying to make our voices heard while a hurricane is going on around us. But I read another article that made me feel better. More young people are getting angry about climate change and are joining forces to make a bigger noise.
    I am so proud of you for supporting another youth group and letting them post information at the hotels. Chris told me that he and his sister are going to post on Nanook too. Awesome! The more the merrier.
    I am glad we have Mama on our side aren't you?
    Lotsa love
    Aunt Jeannie

    ReplyDelete