Saturday, May 5, 2018

Violent Storm Blasts Ontario and Quebec


Related image
 

You were right Sha. The first of the predicted summer storms hit Ontario and Quebec on Friday. And left us all stunned at the destruction. My own house had half the shingles mangled or ripped off. The gazebo almost blew away and a huge tree in our neighbors yard was split in half and  may yet fall on our house. The tree service is so busy they can't get here until Monday
Powerful winds wreaked havoc in southern Ontario's Golden Horseshoe region , leaving 200,000 people without power and claiming at least two lives. Winds peaked at 127 kilometers an hour.
Just before 7 p.m. in Hamilton, a man in his 50s was found unconscious on a road and "in contact with live wires," a release sent out by Hamilton police said. Witnesses told police they saw the man trying to clear the wires from the roadway. Shortly after emergency services arrived the man was pronounced dead.
Police  reported that a tree fell on two men. One was pronounced dead at the scene while another was rushed to hospital in life-threatening condition.  Falling trees were a serious risk throughout the day, helping contribute to extreme Hydro One power outages as of 8 p.m.
 
Related image
 
 
 
 

'We've got a long night ahead of us,' fire chief says

Between 4 p.m. and 9 p.m. on Friday evening, Toronto fire crews responded to 685 calls, Toronto fire Chief Matthew Pegg said.
The high volume of calls sparked a "severe weather protocol," said the chief. That means fire services will "significantly reduce" the number of trucks and crews that respond to each incident, he said.
Crews are prioritizing calls.
"We've got a long night ahead of us, for sure," Pegg said.
Most of the calls coming in are related to the "extraordinary wind" that brought down trees and wires and sent debris flying, he said. Numerous other calls were for people trapped in elevators due to power outages. Damaged roofs,  blown in windows and heavy property damage from flying debris occurred across the southern section of both provinces. The Airports grounded all flights and waited out the storm.
 We are not used to hurricane force winds and the violence of the storm frightened home owners. They had no time to prepare  or protect their homes in any way. This is a harbinger of future storms in Canada and I think we better face the fact that extreme weather events will be the norm.
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Aunt Jeannie ,
    How awful , the poor mam didn't know not to clear the live wires , those are kind of things that catch people by surprise when they are not used to it , I hearing mama saying when I did my post that the people in Canada is used to snow and ice , Jonny said mr. Trump would say all those pictures are fake , stick a pin in the man that think lies is truth maybe he will float out in space and orbit the earth , people will look up ask is the a UFO or weather balloon , people will say no that old lying Trump with the little hands .

    Go to the secret place .
    Love the Knights
    Jonny , Sha , Jenny , Man
    Wrote by Sha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Jeannie,
    Mama came home this evening . Hope when the storm settle and the sky cleared there was not much damage to your home or neighborhood , we do hope the storm scared the rest of the mites away .
    We left you a letter in the secret place late last night (Saturday) .
    Love the Knights
    Jonny , Sha , Jenny , Man

    I will put up stats tonight .I did not put up stats last night , I was worried about my mama. I will put them up tonight .
    JLC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonny I should have left all the windows open so the mites would blow away. We have some damage. Every house on our street including ours, had to get new shingles or complete new roofs. Several fences were blown down and lots of trees. Garbage cans were all over the road. I am going to read my letter right now.
      Love Aunt Jeannie

      Delete
  3. May 6 2018
    Today-----------29
    Yesterday------17
    This month-----156
    Total-------------4,294

    JLC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy Jeannie ,
    If that storm don't make people stand up and take notice , we have got a long hard battle ahead of us , I bet the storm scared the dickens out of people , they are not used to that type of weather .
    Well , I am back home ,I hope things are back to normal ... I think they are , the doctors said I had a delayed meltdown ... it was so real . If you want to hear about it let me know because I know you have your problems .
    Love you sweetie
    BAW

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to hear about it Sweetie. Delayed reactions do happen and they usually take you by surprise. You can't be prepared for something like that. I know it's horribly upsetting and getting it all out of your system is like giving birth. I think you will feel more at peace now.
    I will be home Friday night if you feel like chatting.
    I heard so many people say they believe the storm was caused by climate change, I was thrilled. I didn't have to give my usual lecture. They are waking up slowly Sweetcakes but it's better than nothing.
    Luv ya
    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May 7 , 2018
      Today-----------27
      Yesterday------34
      This month-----188
      Total-------------4,326

      Aunt Jeannie ,
      Mama said check your email .
      Love
      JLC

      Delete